The Trouble With Ice Cream

   It's usually about 9 pm at night, when I am sitting at my computer  and my stomach whispers, "You had a long, hard-working day. You deserve some  ice cream, possibly with some chocolate dripped on top."  Ahhh, ice cream. Smooth and delicious on the tongue, calming any indigestion or upset thoughts, at least temporarily.  Then the logic side of my brain kicks in :  You worked out how long at the gym tonight?  And this afternoon, the brisk half-hour walk--how many calories were burned?  Let's compare that to what it says on the side of the Moose Tracks carton!

   My usual habit is to ignore my own logic,  and slurp down three half-melted scoops of comfort before the guilt meter turns on.  Mmmm.  But the trouble with ice cream is it doesn't last!  The sweet taste is gone with a swallow.  The bowl empties so fast, I have difficulty believing it had been  overflowing with my favorite vice.  Eating it doesn't satisfy my hunger, but most often, produces a craving for more.  If I desire this sweet treat just as much AFTER I consume some, why eat it at all?

  If I listen to the Holy Spirit's reminder that a Christian's physical body is his temple, I put the spoon down and pick up my Bible. It's a quick fix for whatever is bothering me, to head to my refrigerator.  I need to analyze what kind of hunger needs to be satisfied.   A temporary food fix is fine for this minute.  But what nutrition can sustain me for the marathon of my life?

   Psalm 34:8 says, " Oh taste and see that the Lord is good, " and we are told "His love endures forever," twenty-six times in Psalm 132 alone.   My Savior claimed to be the Bread of life who satisfies spiritual hunger forever,  Did Jesus create the Lord's Supper because it was an intimate way to touch us on earth, through food and drink?   The Creator of every complicated cell of my body knows my needs and how to fulfill them for His glory and my good.

  . A full stomach is a blessing. Help me Lord to not neglect spiritual nourishment. Feed me with the satisfying joy of your Holy Word.

Comments