Deciphering Directions



     Have you ever prayed for God to make it obvious?  I don’t trust my decision-making ability.  So, knowing that “he works all things for good to those who love him” (Romans 8:28) and how the Lord knows my needs more than I do, it just makes cents that I ask the map-maker for clear directions.

     It was less than a year ago, when I applied for the position of job coach for disabled individuals. It had been 10 years since I had written a resume. Because of an emotionally abusive supervisor at my previous employment, my self-defenses were on high alert for demeaning situations. Asking God to “please make it obvious if this is the job for me,” I nervously went in for the interview. Not only did it go well, due to the kindness of the interviewers, it ended up being fun.  When my future supervisors asked, “In what ways do you treat disabled people differently?”  I answered, “We are all disabled in some way. Everyone needs respect and encouragement, to know our lives have a purpose. People may need extra help in one way or the other. We just need to figure out which ways work best.”  They both smiled and wrote something quickly on their papers. We all laughed when I said, “Was that the right answer?”

      But that’s not how the Lord chose to “make it obvious” what to decide, when offered the position.  On the same day the “we would like to hire you” phone call was received, I remember walking to my mailbox on a sunny spring day. I opened an important looking envelope to learn, “Your unemployment benefits have expired.”  Looking skyward I thought, “You sure know how to get my attention—through my wallet!”


     The next time you need some direction deciphering, see what happens when you ask God make it obvious.  He enabled me to “get it” and I am very thankful! 


Comments