#healthreboot

   

  I was ashamed to admit it had been over 4 months since I had exercised.  It's amazing how quickly muscles lose their tone, and attitudes no longer reflect ambition.

   It was a coworker who got me interested in literally taking that first step.  Cindy had been a member of a health facility for a few years, and casually mentioned its benefits.  She invited me to a "Bring a Guest" event, offering to drive.  Not wanting to look like an inexperienced newbie, I asked questions about what kind of clothing I should wear, and what items would be good to bring along.  On my first visit, my friend gave me a tour of the building and introduced me to two teachers, who welcomed my questions.  I was relieved when no one pressured me into joining a class or making other commitments. This welcoming, "participate as little or as much as you'd like" atmosphere and my desire to learn soon prompted me to become a member.  The people there truly cared about my health, and were able to provide the proper equipment and instruction. Cindy assured me this was a non-judgment zone and with discipline,"the blessings of growing in strength will come." 

   As with any new habit, there was a period of adjustment as I strove to schedule consistent times to "work out." This discipline quickly proved beneficial.  Not only did my fitness gradually improve, but it positively affected my emotional health, as well.  I lost some of my laziness and flabbiness.  My outlook changed from pushing myself to get up and go, to looking forward to exercising.

  Then summer came with all its warm weather activities.  There was outdoor hiking and biking, gardening and get-aways, sunshine and more socializing than in other months.  My attendance at the health club declined, then disappeared. 

    I have to admit I am embarrassed to go back.  Have people noticed I haven't been around, and will they be asking questions?  Guilt is prompting me to make healthy habits a priority again. But how do I restart this important discipline?  If I commit to go with someone else, will there be a better chance of consistency?

 

OK, Lord, I am recommitting.  Forgive my neglect of spiritual health and worship opportunities at my health club: your Church.  Please teach me to "run with perseverance the race marked out" (Hebrews 12:1) on the track of your promises and will. Give me the self-discipline to commit myself to spiritual growth, once again.  I am thankful for members who invite others to share these blessings. Thank you for giving me a Christian congregation where faith is exercised, your Word is properly taught, and spiritual flabbiness is replaced with your strength. 

Comments