ReFIREment?

     So this is what it feels like to be cell phone disabled.   Tomorrow is my last day with my apartment managing job and today I handed in the phone.  I was so anxious about making sure everything important was taken off the phone and saved, I had a bad dream about it.  No more little dings and whistles to interrupt the quiet.  It feels odd to not check emails or the time on what was my constant techno-companion. Remembering today's date required thoughtful effort.

  It's true that many decisions get easier as one grows older, and not necessarily wiser.  As friends and family leave this life for heaven, I am motivated to appreciate and spend more time with those still here.  And because it has finally sunk in that God has faithfully provided for my needs for over 63 years, it's easier to ignore the make-as-much-$-as-possible-everyday syndrome.  "Teach us to number our days, so we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 90:12

    A little more than a month ago I was praying for God's guidance in planning a women's ministry event.  The request for blessings was shared with five sister saints at our first meeting.  Silently I added , "And please make your will obvious, in everything you want me to do."

   Two hours later, a coworker/boss was treating me to lunch and asking if I was thinking of retiring sometime soon.  " You are doing a good job, and this is definitely not a push out. But because of some company restructuring, and the stress you went through recently with some 'interesting' tenants, we were just wondering...."   The conversation had surprised me.  I had managed two apartment buildings for this company for almost ten years. It required answering a wide variety of phone calls 24/7, but the perks included helping and enjoying  many wonderful "independent living senior" tenants.  Not believing in "just a coincidence", it was easy to make the retirement decision.

  When I posted the HAPPY RETIREMENT SUE cake photo on FB, there were many sweet congratulations replies.  As some friends wondered how all my free time will be spent, I informed them of the grueling channel-surfing and chocolate-choosing decisions still needed to be made.   Greg wished me blessings on my re-fire-ment: getting "fired up" for service in God's Kingdom. Instead of doing less in my golden years, maybe God will be refining me for more.  The battle may now be more against health struggles than time or responsibility demands.

   With more unscheduled time, lack of a business phone, and the Lord who answers prayers, I'm enjoying even more of the"'peace that transcends all understanding." (Philippians 4:7)
     May you also be re-fired for Him, no matter what your age!

 




Comments