Decision Disabled



  The directions for this third day of the Writer’s Challenge, is to write free-form. This is when you put your fingers to the keyboard and just write, without editing or worry. The method is not for those who still have English Lit tapes playing in their heads, or who show ADHD tendencies. Free-form can be used as a writer’s fiber: loosening creativity juices, and preventing thought constipation.  It supposedly helps wanna-be authors to shed insecurities and inhibitions, gaining confidence from accomplishing a word count. At least that’s what I read regarding this topic. I read a lot about writing, take on-line classes on how to write, and admire good writers.  All this reading and studying prevents me from becoming a proper author who follows editing rules. (If you happen to be struggling to create something, you have my permission to use that excuse.)   

     I wonder if God used a free-writing technique to infuse his thoughts into the saints he choose to record his Word? Did Luke sit at his desk surrounded by medical scrolls and personal journals as he remembered and recorded the healing miracles of Jesus? Was Paul zapped with a word-for-word revelation by the same blinding voice he heard on the road to Damascus?  As I struggle to type something that might reflect a tiny bit of God’s wisdom, I am jealous of how Moses didn’t lift a finger to create the most quoted commandments of all time.

    Like so many other conversation topics at this time of year, finishing this free-writing blog is a goal.  Resolutions, reformation, new start, new year.  We all know that goals precede accomplishments.  I need to make it a goal to set goals.  Maybe someone could author “Goals for Dummies” or “Chickensoup for Those Who Can’t Commit” to encourage me.

    It’s true that knowing what my dream is (authoring a bestseller)  and making concrete plans (hire telemarketers), would make the possibility of reaching that goal more realistic.  And developing objectives for that goal should break it down into attempt-size pieces.  Of course adding a practical time frame for each objective and goal would promote self-monitoring.  Then there’s recording all these plans via a multi-dimensioned spreadsheet or a notebook with color coded tabs. When and where do I start?   Since I am so good and fond of making decisions, I think I’ll free-form my way off the page, find some ice cream and stare at FB posts for a few hours. At least that last part is a goal I can keep.


 “Writing without editing is like having teeth pulled without biting a bullet.”  -- Sue Fink, author


                          ---413 painful words---

Example of free-form sign making 

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!