Improving Your Pastor’s Sermon

   I sit blurry-eyed in my regular pew, about two-thirds of the way back on the right, next to the aisle.  This is my preferred spot, away from the glaring stream of sunshine that breaks through the window shade cracks. Being the socialite, I greet the fellow-worshipers next to and behind me with the traditional, “Good morning”, while struggling to recall their names. Gentle piano music starts to encourage our small group (25 or so) to sing, “Oh that the Lord would guide my ways…”.  Familiar prayers and liturgy cues keep me focused as the congregation responds and stands.  My rumbling stomach acknowledges an unhealthy breakfast choice.  As Pastor Bob begins his sermon, I settle in on the padded seat, stifling a decaffeinated yawn. I love my church and want to value the hearing of God’s Word. Why is it so easy for me to drift off into my own thoughts? What’s wrong with those sermons, anyway?

   You don’t need to admit it to anyone, but can you relate to my incongruity?  Confession: I didn’t acknowledge I had sermon daydream behavior, until I got to know a dedicated missionary. He and his wife serve in a country where sharing God’s Word is illegal. Their work is so dangerous; they ask that no-one publically share their names. After our discussions, my mind made the obvious, humbling comparison. If they risk their lives overseas to smuggle in the Gospel, how can I not appreciate Scripture sharing opportunities here?   Deciding I needed to be more attentive and grateful, I prayed for guidance.  Here are some things that help me listen and learn.  
                                                                                             

 Prepare Personally

   You would think that an over-the-hill adult would be consistent in healthy habits of getting enough sleep, fueling with good breakfast food, and doing whatever it takes to instill morning alertness. But,  I needed to reteach and apply these disciplines to my Sunday morning routine. My Sister-in-Christ, Deborah, listens to worship music as she gets ready for church. Music is a mood modifier for most people. I know I am easily affected by songs, so need to be carefully selective with music choices. 

Preview

    If you have taken a class, you have probably appreciated the instructor who outlined and summarized what you will be expected to learn, before she started to teach. It’s similar to tasting a food sample that gets your mouth watering for more.  What do you think a pastor’s reaction would be, if members requested his sermon verses a head of time, in order to read them? (I made sure Pastor Bob was sitting down.) Satan will not be happy when we use the sword of Scripture (Ephesians 6:10-17) to prepare our minds and hearts for heavenly food.

Prayer

   Thanks to Jesus’ parable of the persistent widow (Luke 18:1-8), and Paul’s encouragement to continually pray ( I Thessalonians 5:17), Christians are emboldened to request or beg their heavenly Father for anything at any time. My preference is to pray out loud, so the devil can hear it, and my concentration improves.  As to not frighten fellow worshipers however, I silently request something like this:

Lord, you know I get distracted, sleepy, and sin, even when pastor is sharing your  loving kindness.  Please work the miracles of speaking your truth through the sermon, keeping me attentive and teaching me what you want me to learn.  Thank you for this opportunity to worship and to pray this prayer.  Amen

It’s a prayer that I might have to repeat a few times at church, especially the “keep me attentive” part.                                                              
 Prevent Distractions

   It is a joy to see all ages of children at a worship service, although not always an appreciated blessing to hear them.  When I see toddlers wiggling on or under the pew, my grandmotherly radar hones in.  I empathize with families who have not been able to sit through an entire church service until after all the kids learn to read.  (Potentially, discussions of what to do with toddlers during adult worship could take up a book.) To stifle my distracted tendencies, I try not to sit too close to cute Cheerio eaters and their Sippie cups. As for potential screamers, the ushers make sure the screen and speaker are working in the parents’ room, and kindly let families know it’s an available choice.  
 
 Participate

   The most important difference in improving my pastor’s sermons, (i.e.my focus on them), has to do with the best way I am able to learn. If I am interactive while receiving information, the more I can comprehend and retain.  Have you seen church-goers who take notes or outline the sermon?  Some use specific Sermon Notebooks, but anything to write in would suffice. Kathy, a woman after God’s heart, told me her interest and comprehension improved substantially through note-taking. And because she is an artist, sometimes she adds simple illustrations.  Many years ago, drawing a picture of the sermon encouraged my children to listen in church, and provided interesting discussion later.
                                                                         


   Both my husband and I have found it exceptionally beneficial to take sermon and Bible study notes in the margins of our Bibles.  To do this you need to write small, or use a Bible with lots of blank spaces. There are specific journaling or illuminating versions* available for that purpose.  Since I can’t count on a good memory, noting ideas and quotes right next to the texts serves as a reminder for the future, as well as an quick organization. With Bible study in particular, I enjoy using colored pencils to make certain subjects stand out.  Assurances of God’s forgiveness are highlighted in red, blue mark God’s promise to me, orange refers to the Holy Spirit and yellow are words of praise. Adding the symbol of a triangle in any color, marks the Trinity verses. There are many different ways of color coding or adding symbols to personalize Scripture.  Perhaps designing your own codes and colors would be fun!       
                                                             
           
 Prize the Privilege

   With the Holy Spirit’s motivating power, each of us will prize the privilege of worship, and faith-growth through God’s Word. Thank the Lord and your pastor(s) for their provisions and grace.  Appreciation can be expressed by inviting others to be blessed. Connections can start with a “like” in social media, develop into coffee shop conversations and result in reserving a pew.  What other book or message can you share that guarantees eternal benefits?  I am so looking forward to no distractions in heaven with my Savior.


  What has helped you pay attention to the sermon, and avoid distractions in worship?


*Illuminating Bibles have extra pages to draw pictures and/or verses in decorative displays to color


--1,117 words

Comments

  1. Love this and will want to reread as I got interrupted by phone callright last part :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!