The Urgency of Having Hope


  There is a wise 93 year old woman who attends our Thursday morning Bible class. She is not too happy about having to leave her home of 65 years and live in an assisted living facility, but she is trying to be patient.  “I can’t see well enough to read anymore, you know.  But there is a lady who visits and reads the Bible to me. ”
   A dear friend’s husband experienced a brain aneurysm six years ago.  This out-going, evangelical, compassionate, heart-for-the Lord pastor is now incapacitated.  He can no longer speak, write or read, and needs help with all activities of daily life. Sometimes he is able sing a word or two of a hymn. Why God has allowed Tom and his family to bear this burden, is one of the questions I am asking in heaven. 
   A few years ago my husband and I visited Germany.  I can clearly remember sitting in a tiny, ancient church on a hard, very straight-backed pew. There were very few German words I understood, as we attempted to participate in the service with a handful of worshipers.  
   During my 13 years employed as a hospice volunteer coordinator, Jesus showed me obvious examples of the many blessings I have been given: faith, grace, health, family, and Christian fellowship. It was sad and unsettling to try to assist dying patients and their families who had no church family to pray for them and no Hope to calm their fears. 



   Part of my desire to simplify my life has to do with attempting to make more room in my schedule, surroundings and spirit for His Kingdom.  Do you sense urgency, as I do, in Isaiah’s words ? Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near.  (55:6 NLT) 

   Lord, motivate us to read your Word, speak while we can, appreciate our worship opportunities and faithfully hold on to the sure Hope of salvation.
                                                                         

Comments

  1. https://www.amazon.com/Developing-Devoted-Family-Reasons-Resources-ebook/dp/B00TDB8OBE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, like you I encounter so many people who are alienated, isolated, and despairing. In my volunteer work with the ambulance I often get calls for people who do not need treatment but are in need of care...in need of hope. It is those moments that I thank God for allowing me to be a conduit of his grace. Not always easy...always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Larry. Blessings on your volunteer work, especially as you reflect the LORD.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!