Apprehension Over New Experiences


    Do you have school days nightmares about not getting your locker open or being unprepared for a test?  I do.  These repetitive dreams are especially strange, since my educational experiences were most often enjoyable.  However, there was one college course that created worries.






     Taking a few swimming lessons in grade school, gave me the (false) confidence to think I was proficient at this sport. My parents encouraged floating and stroke practice by making beach visits a weekly summertime habit.  Later, with high school homework, clubs, plays, concerts, and those all-important social activities, swimming was neglected.

      In my second year of college, I signed up for a Red Cross swimming class, thinking it would be an easy, required, physical education credit.  Being very different from the familiar lecture type classes, I didn’t know what to expect.  My mind ruminated on questions that generated worry.

    Since the pool was in a different city, how early would I have to leave to find it on time? What needs to be remembered and brought along?  How many towels?  What kind of swimsuit? Will others wear swim shoes or flip-flops? Would I know any of the other students?  


    Trying to review basic swim skills, my nervousness blocked out how-to memories. What would the instructor be like and what would she expect us to know?  Will my inexperience be embarrassing?  

    As I pessimistically pondered my questions, the need for courage-building prayer emerged.  Even though “ I can do all things with Christ…”  refers to the apostle Paul’s attitude toward incomparable hardships, the promise calmed this college student. The swimming class turned out to be not only beneficial but fun. 

    Reviewing this story (that happened too many years ago to count), has helped me avoid apprehension when trying  new experiences. 


                                         +      +      +      +




    A young, smiling pastor shares an invitation after a grace-filled worship service.

   “As it states in the bulletin, we are starting a new Bible study series and I want to personally encourage you to come. Perhaps you remember these Scriptures from confirmation classes or Sunday school. Maybe your parents shared family devotions, but it has been a while since you restarted a Bible reading habit.

     Let me assure you there will be no embarrassing questions you have to answer, and no one has to read aloud who doesn’t care to. If you have a Bible, bring it along or we will get one for you. Our goal is a relaxed atmosphere where we can dig deeper into the truths our loving heavenly Father wants us to learn and live. Please think about what might be preventing you from attending. Busy and stressed with many other activities?  Reading God's Word gives encouragement and help for every part of life. 

    If you haven’t attended a Bible class before, there is no time like the present to be blessed.  ‘Oh taste and see that the Lord is good.’ 
And so are the coffee and donuts!“



Comments

  1. Sue, I totally connect with your feelings about a new experience. I entered a 5K walk/run in early May. I am not a runner, but wanted to participate in the annual event completed by my son and daughter-in-law. I had a thousand questions, and wondered how I would do. I became less anxious as the run/walk began and I was walking past beautiful scenery on the Lake Michigan shore. It was a beautiful day, and I was happy that I finished, 147 our of 151 folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a test comment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!