I'm Not Gonna Take This Aging Thing Lying Down


   Do you know it's possible to burn a hard-boiled egg?  Does it surprise you that I recently put a dozen eggs in boiling water, kinna got distracted (by an addictive social media force) and didn't remember something was on the stove until there were minor explosions?  That's eggsactly what happened. (My apologies to pun haters, but it's true.)  Therefore, I am blaming this and all future errors on my vintage status.





    My husband (Bob) and I are celebrating the arrival of our Medicare cards.  Reaching this mile stone (or mill stone, as in "around one's neck") is not as momentous as our first Senior Citizen Buffet discount, but it does promise several advantages. We can finally afford to go to a doctor!  All those checkups, tests and "you should really have that looked at" options we have postponed for years, are now a possibility.  My first examination of choice will be at the optometrist, to get glasses that don't fall off my nose every time I nod my head.  Bob figures he is overdue for a complete physical, including cancer-screening tests.  As the loving wife and life insurance beneficiary, you can imagine how grateful I am he makes these health checks a priority. And I am especially looking forward to all that he agrees to do for me, when he is coming out of the colonoscopy twilight sleep.  For clarity sake, this time our conversation will be recorded.







   According to the many Gray-Haired Tennis Shoe exercise videos I watch (but don't participate in), getting older doesn't necessarily mean slowing down or inheriting aches and pains.  Just yesterday, my 40 year marriage-bliss partner and I jumped on our bikes and peddled an entire 8 miles up the beautiful Lake Michigan coastline.  We shared loud groans and sharp knee pains ONLY when going uphill, or when the breeze, i.e. storm-like winds, blew against us.  Additionally, we gleaned a brain health benefit by planning a no-hill route home.




   People have told me there are many pleasant advantages of hitting the big 65. The dignified silver status can motivate others to show more patience and forgiveness when they think, "she's probably just confused."  For example, my husband has been very blessed in the last 6 months by three different, young police officers.  They each decided to give the grey-haired grandpa figure a gentle warning about forgetting the speed limit.



    Encouragement and advice about growing old can be found in the Bible.   Proverbs 16:31 "Gray hair is a crown of splendor" is written on my bedroom mirror.  One of my favorite stories is when the prophet Elisha provided a lunch for two bears---snotty kids who were"dissing"his bald head ( II Kings 2:22-24).  Why hasn't someone made an illustrated children's book out of this?  It could be combined with 'Honor your father and mother'...or else!





    You can guess my age by knowing I was a preteen when "She Loves You" became a hit. There are two Beatle songs I really dislike. The first being "Imagine" and the second, "They Say It's Your Birthday".  Not asking for gifts or acknowledgement (other than cash),but in 6 days one of those tunes will be matching an event on my life calendar.  Hint: this is not referring to my outstanding creative imagination that composes detailed, no-cliche blogs at the drop of a hat.




   If you are younger than me, please attempt to appreciate each day and not waste a minute the good Lord gives you. For those readers who have achieved vintage status, congratulations!  The world, or at least this blog's readers and myself, want to know your methods for health, coping, and ageless optimism. Share your wisdom in the comments, as an email to me, or personally warn a snotty kid.






Comments