Attitude Prisons



   My husband is in jail. Often.  It’s one of his favorite places to be.  With a bit of volunteer training to obtain an official Pastoral Care business card, he gets to study the Bible with a literal captive audience.  He also has the privilege of seeing the Holy Spirit open and change hardened hearts.



   Talking with prisoners, my husband is learning what it’s like to exist in an uncomfortable room with little privacy and choices, and with no window to see the outside world. One inmate of a county jail said he wanted to go to prison, because, “At least there you get time to go outdoors.”



   This morning I had the freedom to walk past fall-colored trees, feel the bright sun warming my shoulders, and partake in food and conversations of my own choosing.  These blessings are just a miniscule sampling of what God continually provides.  So why do I cling to attitudes that lock out appreciation?  My emotional prison is apparent in several ways.



                                            My Comparison Cell 
             
When jealously comparing my life to another’s status, situation, or success, I’m living in a self-made comparison cell. The bars block my vision, distorting a Biblical truth view. 

   To be honest, I did not want to read how the Apostle Paul includes jealousy in a list of dangerous sins.  He warns, “those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:21)   A few verses earlier (5:16) he encourages living by the Spirit to, “not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”   Thank you Lord, for the Spirit-powered key that unlocks my attitude’s cell of comparison.





The Prison of Approval-seeking

   Being corrected is one of my least-favorite experiences! “Can I show you what you are doing wrong?” is a question that makes my ego cringe.  Expressing my opinions ("attitude facts”) to someone who blatantly rejects them, puts me on an emotional fear-coaster ride.  Why do I ignore how Christ’s perfect love drives out fear ( I John 4:18) ?

   When concentrating on my feelings I ignore the facts that, “through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.” (Ephesians 3:12)  The prison of approval-seeking robs everyone of confidence and joy. 




Proclaiming Freedom

    Prioritizing people relationships over discipleship, and social media over Bible study are two more ways I cripple growth in appreciation and faith.  Busyness and distractions are not an honest excuse.   It takes a commitment to daily decision-making based on God’s Word that gives me the attitude transplant I desperately need. 



Do you believe Jesus came to earth to proclaim freedom for prisoners like you and me?

Comments