What Retirement Planners Don't Mention




   Are you thinking of enjoying more of life by retiring before age 60?  Sounds good, until you discover that doing so increases your death risk by 51%, especially for men. (https://www.verywellhealth.com) In other cheery words, when you stop working, you'll have free time to kill, but it may kill you. Health professionals encourage waiting until 65 and doing cardio exercises.  I am wondering how to make snack retrieval (computer chair to kitchen and back) an aerobic activity.  


  As soon as my Medicare supplement said they would pay for an eye exam, I splurged on new prescription glasses. You might want to consider this purchase for yourself, but with caution.  Why?  With improved vision you see previously unnoticed things in your home: cobwebs, faded paint, ceiling cracks, bugs in all the light fixtures, and a surprising amount of clutter! I don’t recall my investment advisor including plans for dumpster rental costs.  



   Sadly, I can no longer claim the “no time” excuse to ignore my 20+ years’ worth of tightly packed closets, treasures stuffed under beds, a workshop that has no space for work, and various clutter collections.  The transition from work life to house to-dos now includes the revelation, “Why am I keeping this stuff?”  Perhaps purging will provide some much-needed memory tests.  Had the younger versions of me and my husband attempted to answer life’s purpose by accumulating possessions? My new adage is the disinheritance strategy, “Throw it away so the kids won’t have to.”  
 

   One item I elected to keep is a full length mirror.  As I walk past, the mirror becomes a valuable reminder to change clothes from pajama casual to clean, public presentable. Additionally, keeping and using two morning alarm clocks helps counteract my sleeping-in (retirement transition) addiction.



  There is one type of person for whom the relaxed retirement mode may cause emotional strain.  Typically this individual was in a caring-for-others career, came home to ambitious multitasking for family needs, and often postponed doing anything ‘just for myself.”  If this sounds familiar, here are some guilt-reducing reasons and actions to include in your retirement plan:


*Investing in self kindness recharges compassion energy for others.

*If you stop using your mind and muscles you won’t be able to get on the floor to play with grandchildren.

*A yoga and/or stretch class is a lot cheaper than physical therapy.

*Taking classes or trying new experiences slows aging and prevents boredom

*A person who pursues the things he said he would enjoy in retirement, affirms his integrity.

*Laughter is important for the digestive system.

*Retirement is life’s mulligan, the ultimate repurposing opportunity.

.



Which bits of wisdom for retirement plans will
 you put on a well-placed sticky note?

Comments

  1. Sue, delightful and inspiring views of retirement. I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have a reason to work until 75.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue-How very true! In retirement, we all need to keep moving (physically, mentally, spiritually). We stop moving, it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment Mrs. Stigler!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!