Blizzard Blessings?


  
   Was the phrase, “in the dead of winter” invented in Wisconsin?  After the last two weeks of blizzards, hazardous travel, and negative temperatures, it is apropos. In our area the schools and most businesses were closed for three days. Thankfulness for people in the public service fields, especially snowplow drivers, was increased and expressed.

   Those of us who were able to stay warm in our homes, put soup on the stove, enjoyed a change from hectic routines, and counted blessings in the midst of windy whiteness.  

   
   How often do the hardships things of life: bad weather, pain, sickness, and tragedies of all sorts, motivate hindsight gratitude?   This has repeatedly been the case in my experiences. The disruption of normalcy gives a cause to pause, a retrieve to breathe. Allowing an escape from culture’s busyness trap, the unexpected prompts me to mindfully seek God.   


   Have funerals served this purpose in your life? 
For Jesus-followers burying a Christian loved one, the ceremonial goodbye is usually a mix of competing emotions.  Shock, numbness, sadness and lonely despair are covered (by God’s promises) with a blanket of heavenly hope. No more hardships for the casket-dweller: only indescribable joy with the Savior. People navigating grief journeys remind us to be grateful for the together times we currently enjoy.   

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12

  
   The Psalm writer, King David, had his share of sins, hardships and tragedies. His reactions to them make him relatable to us 3,000 years later. For the dedication of the temple property, David crafted a song expressing insight gleaned from his ups and downs. (Psalm 30) 



I will exalt you, Lord,
    for you lifted me out of the depths  and did not let my enemies gloat over me… 11 You turned my wailing into dancing;   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.


Reflect: Have you gone through bitter winters of change or loss that God transformed into thanks-giving?


Dear Lord, 
Teach us to put on the joy clothes you provide, especially during weather and emotional storms. Please give us a David heart that sings your praise, and appreciates our countless blessings. Thank you for unexpected disruptions of our daily plans that direct our eyes to your Word. When it seems we are caught in the middle of “always winter but never Christmas,*” renew us with your sure promise of a resurrection Spring.  In Jesus‘ name.  Amen 


*C.S. Lewis, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe




Comments

  1. Many blessing in the midst of winter indeed. Also find it a time to relish the quiet and reflect. A little white kitten showed up on my doorstep just before the first storm and polar temps. She has become my constant companion along with my other two kitties and remind me of how fragile life is. Her story would of been very different if she was left to fend for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. That kitten knew which door to pick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!