A Spark of Joy by Naomi Raddatz (Guest Post)

We have been doing some remodeling.  This easy sentence comes attached with
 a million decisions, much compromise, some personal reflection and of course
 a lot of mess.  Last week as I was in the middle of Marie Kondoing my extra
 bedroom/ daughters’ room/office / dog room/ storage/multipurpose room, (you know 
the room being referred to) I had a revelation.
One of the procedures Marie Kondo so simply states in her The KonMari Method
 of Tidying, is to gather every item from a category, or sub- category and lay them
 all out on the floor.  Once you have done that you are to pick up each item and ask yourself:

                “Does this spark joy?”
                “Does this item touch your heart?
                  If it does keep it.
                  If not, consider giving it a new home.
This sounded like a decent plan, so I started by tackling 
something that surrounded every corner of the room-- my books. As I took the books out of their
 bins and dumped them on the floor, I noticed the themes: marriage advice, children’s picture
 books, art books, text books from college, parenting books, gardening tomes, exercise manuals, 
the list went on and on.   Wow, I really need to book an appointment with myself to read a few of
 these books. Even digesting one from start to finish would be an awesome accomplishment! The
 pile of rediscovered volumes started on the floor and towered 
over the bedside.  I felt overwhelmed,  but pushed on .
 Does this book spark joy? Does it touch my heart?  Do I really need to keep it? 
For some yes, some no, others pulled in directions that hurt the soul.  Books
 are powerful that way.   Maybe that is why I have so many.  
Ok, back to tidying…  As I worked through the process of discarding  a few of
 the many books, a small voice whispered. “Just one, one is all that you need.”  No, this voice was not
 from Marie Kondo.  believe it was from above, leading me to that large brown book that was given to
 me by my grandparents on my confirmation day.   A children’s tune played in my head:  “the  B-I-B-L-E
 yes that’s the book for me I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E. “
No other book ever written claims within its pages to be:  The Armor of God,  (Ephesians 6:10-18)
 Alive and powerful, sharper than the sharpest two edged sword, (Hebrews 4:12)  A lamp to my feet
 and a light for my path, (Psalm 119:105) God-breathed, (2 Timothy 3:16 )  Divinely written,
 (2 Peter 1:20-21)  Unchanging (James 1:17) (Isaiah 40:8) The Word of God.  (I Thessalonians 2:13)
As I looked upon my enormous stack of books ready to instruct, council, or entertain, I realized that
 books must be important to God, since he used one to communicate his plan of salvation.  
 My help comes from the LORD the maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-8) The Scriptures are alive 
and active!  They were written to show us God’s grace plan for our salvation.  It is my prayer that this 
 book will spark joy in your heart as you face the challenges and blessings  of each new day. 
God’s love and encouragement is just one book away. 

Guest blogger Naomi Raddatz resides in Manitowoc, Wisconsin with her husband and four children.  She is a
 graduate of Martin Luther College in New Ulm, MN with an elementary education degree in teaching. 
The Lord has allowed her to fulfill calls in three schools  over the scan of two decades in the teaching ministry.
Raising her own children and volunteer work in the church and community is now her passion.  Community
service through the board of directors of Clipper City food Co-op takes up a  chunk of her time and energy
these days.  She has always had a passion for children's literature and loves how picture  books light up the
eyes of children. She is in the process of publishing her first children's novel!
Being able to write with a Christian perspective is a true joy that she hopes will enhance the perspective
and faith of all of who read her work. 

Comments

  1. Susan, thank you for sharing Naomi's wonderful post! It is a joy and inspiration to read! :) Well done and a very excellent message too, Naomi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!