The Prodigal Dad's Lament


To my dearly loved child,

   I miss hearing from you.  My various attempts at communicating have not been successful in prompting your replies.

   Is there a reason you have not acknowledged the many gifts I have sent?  Have you set them aside temporarily, thinking they will be used and appreciated when you find room in your schedule?

    We relate to the passing of time very differently. You pack your 24 hour day with self-care responsibilities, obligatory duties, numerous concerns, and not enough rest.  Let me encourage you to replace your burdened busyness with divine direction.  Will you accept my help?


   How long has it been since you have seen me?  No, I haven’t forgotten the traditional Easter and Christmas visit interactions.  Hopefully, you don't perceive those celebrations as tiresome obligations. 

   When you were very young, you postponed bedtime by asking "why?" questions. An attentive listener then, you easily memorized prayers and Bible promises.  Your requests for silly things you didn’t need (“a pony to ride to school, please”) still makes me smile.  Remember how you would repeatedly ask to hear my stories and songs? 


   As a grade-schooler, do you recall confessing sins against your siblings? (“I'm sorry I got mad and threw him off the bed.”) You thought an apology would cancel consequences. But because your brother was hurt from the top bunk  fall, there was a medical bill to be paid. Forgiveness is a gift.  Justice requires payment. Do you understand that lesson now?



   I forgive you for being embarrassed to associate with me during your teen years and beyond. My love always was and will continue to be available.  Perhaps your fears and tears will urge you to seek truth and support. Until then, like the prodigal's dad, I eagerly wait for your return. 


 





   Dear highly valued, adopted one: let me encourage you to spend time with me. Read and think about my Word. Pray. Nurture your hungry soul. Worship. Rejoice in the miracle of our redeemed relationship. 


 Let’s have a feast and celebrate !   Luke 15:23





Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights. James 1:17

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!