Business Card for the Retired

A smiling, purple haired young lady greeted me at our neighborhood print shop. 
“How can I help you?”

“I would like a cost estimate on a business card. At least I think that’s what I need.”

“It depends on the type of paper, how many colors and how many lines on the card. Do you have something in mind?”

“Well, sort of.  People keep asking me what I have been doing since I retired. There are so many things, I think it would be handy to just hand them a card.  So I came up with this list.” I reached into my purse and handed over a piece of paper with the following: 
                                                

Susan L. Fink
Arthritis fighter, Bible study inviter,

Empty nest crier, unhealthy snack buyer.

Downsizing adviser, off-key harmonizer,

Possessions organizer, slow morning riser.  
   
Ice cream craving satisfier, God’s creation admirer,

Getty music buyer, good causes sympathizer.

Blog author/reporter, Elders transporter,

Washed socks sorter, housework ignorer.

Exercise procrastinator, spouse miscommunicator,

My parents’ visitor, FaceBook contributor.

Books on CD “reader”, wild bird feeder,

Caffeine need-er, flower garden seeder.

Computer breaker, to-do list maker, 

Heirloom collector, friend appreciator.

Corny joke say-er, senior discount saver,


Family time craver, thanks to Jesus pray-er.  

I never did get a business card made, even after talking to the manager, whom the counter girl had quickly called.  As both talked with me they looked a bit scared, but I think they were just confused.


                       Maybe they will understand when they retire. 




Comments

  1. Love it, Sue. However, I'm wondering how large that business card would need to have been or how small the font? Thanks for sending this amusing poetry about retirement activities. Have you ever gotten this question? "Now that you are retired, what do you do all day?" Anyhow, I do enjoy retirement, and I need to remind myself to think twice before I volunteer. Barb H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Glad you enjoyed it. Oh yes, this article was in response to that question. :) I too am trying to learn where God wants me to serve instead of jumping in to help every good cause.

      Delete
  2. That's quite a statement Sue. What a confession, lol! You forgot that you're a great lover of souls, (and your husband)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!