The Everything Omelet Recipe





   It was after 5 pm when I peered into the refrigerator, hoping a completed meal would jump out. The transparent shelves displayed a carton of rice from last night’s Chinese, a microwave container of fried hamburger and mushroom leftovers, milk, 6 eggs and cottage cheese. My stomach rumbled. “Hmm. What can I make ?”  An Everything Omelet was the obvious choice. 


   While butter melted in my red-bottomed pan, I cracked and whisked 4 eggs into a glass bowl—my favorite because of its useful spout. The hamburger was broken into bite size pieces and put into the pan with a handful of rice. A few cold spoonfuls of cottage cheese, fresh spinach, and several shakes of garlic salt were mixed into the eggs, then dumped into the sizzling pan.  Like an artist's brush spreading paint, the spatula moved to even the omelet’s thickness.  A glass cover was placed over the colorful concoction until the top layer expanded, and the bottom turned light brown. As the comforting cooking smell evolved, I grew impatient for a taste.  Mmm-mmm. 


  Don't you wish you hadn't turned down my offer to share ? 


                                  

Comments