National Feel Sorry for Yourself Day



Dear Justine,  Thanks for your email.  Sounds like you are doing well, despite this quarantine craziness.  As for me, I don’t think I can handle it much longer!!  Maybe the best thing the government can do right now is declare a national FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF DAY.  We certainly have enough reasons to “celebrate” that!  To make myself feel useful, I made a list of things driving me to depression.  Let me know what you think. 

1.   My favorite stores are closed during this social distancing thing!  Do you know how difficult it is for me to not $ buy things?  In person shopping gave me a sense of accomplishment, even if it meant just walking and thinking about possible purchases.

2.  There’s no coffee shop conversations, catching up on my friends’ family news and enjoying high calorie treats.  Drinking a lonely latte at home, just doesn’t taste as good.  As for treats—I ‘d have to bake my own and that would mess up my kitchen.
  
3.  Boy I miss Friday nights at a restaurant with other couples, then out for music or a movie!  Instead, these quarantine rules only allow the blah-ness of home cooked meals, and garage cleaning  for entertainment.  L

4.   How was I supposed to know that purchasing an RV a few months ago was going to be terrible timing?  Maybe I will park it in my backyard and pretend it’s in the mountains.  Gas prices are finally down—but we can’t go anywhere!  I want to cry.
  
5.   And to top it all off, my cell phone reception is spotty and internet is intermittent.  The one way to connect socially is not dependable.  What’s next: suspended cable tv service??

Because of all these INCONVENIENCES and more, I’m going to allow myself a big bowl of self pity ice cream today.  Maybe tomorrow too. 

Can’t wait to connect in person,  Kate



     .      .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .   .    .   .   .   .

Dear Cousin,

   Good to hear you are still alive and kicking. That was quite a frustration list you put together. Did you know I have been reading up on our family history? Fascinating.  I found some information about our relatives’ lives that might interest you. 

       When Grandma Anna’s parents lived in Milwaukee in the 1930s, there were more Army and Navy goods stores than traditional department stores and overall more stores for men.  Other than eggs from their backyard chickens, they got food from a tiny, neighborhood grocery  store (where the owners lived upstairs.)


               Remember how much our great Uncle Ray loved coffee?  He said that during World War II rationing, Americans were only allowed one pound of coffee every five weeks and one-half pound of sugar per week. 

         My mother-in-law gave me an “American Woman’s Cook Book” that was used by her mom in the early 50’s.  I would be happy to copy and send any recipes. How about Pig Knuckles and Sauerkraut, Calf’s Brains and Oysters, Potted Pigeons or Roast Opossum?  Seems they ate what was readily available. Because the family worked long hours on their dairy farm, socializing times were Sunday church or an occasional Saturday wedding reception.

         Did you say you had hoped to travel route 66 with your RV?  If so, you will like this—a cousin to great grandpa (on the Hansen side) was part of an Army convoy on that same road!   The newspaper clipping said, “The World War I victory tour was comprised of 78 army and other vehicles.  Due to muddy road conditions through Illinois, driving through soft sand in Utah, and various other formidable difficulties, the 3,000 mile Lincoln Highway trip averaged 58 miles a day.  One observer saw several damaged, abandoned trucks.”  Quite the expressway system, hey?

        I had fun the other day asking my dad about the good old days. He was telling me how telephones were shared (“party lines”) and how his mom always could tell when their neighbor was listening in on conversations.   He also said people were content to have a 15 inch black and white TV with three channels, whose broadcasts ended around 10 pm.

Well, I should stop my rambling on and send off this email.  I will attach some photos of the house and garden projects I’ve been able to tackle during this slow down.  Also been enjoying reconnecting with some friends, and checking on church members via phone calls.  Even played cards with the hubby—and won!  

Feeling very blessed to be healthy,
Justine


P.S. If you are bored, I’d be happy to do a porch drop of some highly recommended books, old family photos, puzzles, or face mask material to sew. 





Attch:




Comments