An Author’s Excuses

   

 Dear Author Friends,                              


God has gifted you with the desire and quite possibly the talent to write.  Write-worthy ideas briefly visit your mind while you are just drifting off to sleep, taking a morning shower, or you are walking briskly, enjoying the outdoors. 

Why is it then, as soon as pen and paper, or keyboard and mouse are in hand, do all words vanish?  What was that perfectly alliterated title?  What happened to the clear outline sure to evolve into a best seller?

 


When these questions frustrate my memory, I use this handy, logical list to excuse any procrastination.   

                                                     *   *   *   *   *

Good Reasons to Wait Before Writing:

1. +   The “ding!” means Facebook just received a new entry, so I better check its urgency. (It’s probably my kids needing me!)

2.     +  My desk is so messy, and a responsible person would pay all the bills and answer all the correspondence pilled on it first.

3.    + I should watch the news first so I keep up with what’s going on in the world.

4.     + Now that I have watched the news I am too disheartened to continue my humorous piece on politics.

       5.+ It’s my turn to cook/wash dishes/call my parents.

6.       +We don’t get many beautiful weather days like this—better go outside and pull weeds.

       7. + There's no rush, and no deadline since I am self-publishing and self-promoting. It’s so convenient!

8.   + I'd better find volunteers for church ushers, invite people to the upcoming Bible study and email pastor my VBS ideas before I start my writing project.  If I don’t do it, who will?

9      + I need to read a few dozen more books and articles on HOW TO WRITE before I attempt anything more.  I wonder how many TED talks are on that subject?

 


10. The people in my writing support group are so sweet and encouraging; they won’t make me feel bad for not attempting the prose assignment for this week.

                                                       *   *   *   *   *

 

        Feel free to copy and place the previous list in any location conducive to honing             your writing skills.      


                                                        You are welcome! 

Comments