Keep the Light(s) On

 reposted from HolyHenHouse.com

A friend took down all her Christmas decorations on New Year’s Day. I wanted to tell her, “That’s

way too early! At least, leave the outdoor lights on.”

A nighttime drive to see house decorations and lights has been a fun tradition since my childhood.

(Ironically Santa seemed to visit our home at exactly the same time!) In recent years, parks and

gardens gain donations as winter visitors come to see elaborate lit-up designs and displays.

Despite my wondering what Minions and Star Wars have to do with celebrating Christ’s birth,

such decorations are popular. 

Why do people enjoy the winter tradition of decorating with candles and electric lights?

Perhaps it’s the combination of anticipating the holidays and coping with less daylight, that

motivates adding brightness inside and outside of buildings. Lights also have a way of

dispelling fear. 


Have you ever taken a tour into a deep cave where absolute darkness is demonstrated?

And who hasn’t been thankful for a nearby flashlight during a storm power outage?  

Has your family learned the value of a flashlight during camping adventures or moonless

night walks? When I experienced this, it magnified the meaning of Psalm 119:105,

“Your words are a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.“


How do we know where it is safe, how rugged the terrain might be, who can I trust to

walk with me (which mentors should I choose?), and which educational and career

turns do I take in my life journey?


Without a dependable, truth-light, life’s pathways would be dangerous, if not terrifying.  

Do we carry God’s flashlight in our back pocket ready for use, to give direction?



In this same Psalm (119), King David details how he did this. (Note the different

expressions meaning God’s Word) 

v. 11    I have hidden your sayings in my heart
v. 15    I will meditate on your precepts
v.  16   I will not forget your words.
v. 34   Give me understanding, and I will guard your law. I will keep it with all my heart. 
v. 36    Direct my heart toward your testimonies and not toward material gain.
v. 48    I lift up my hands to your commandments, which I love, and I meditate on your statutes.

v. 104  From your precepts I gain understanding. Therefore, I hate every false road.

Even amidst the urgencies of ruling God’s people, David remembered his Creator’s covenants

and commands. Doing this motivated him to share God’s light and love with others. It’s a

circular action that continues today. The Holy Spirit prompts us to read and understand

Scripture. Then as we stay on his path, it empowers us to offer the Light of the World to others.

But how are we to influence others, especially those walking in worldly darkness? The Holy

Spirit enabled Paul to share the answer to this question, before it was even asked. We need to

“shine among them like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life.“ Philippians 2:15

Maybe you’ve welcomed a newcomer to your neighborhood or a visitor at your church.

Perhaps you volunteered work hours or donations for a cause that made sure to share the

love of the Lord. Patience, joy and the other fruit of the Spirit, (especially in the darkness of

disease or division), brightens lives and gives glory to God. 


Dear Lord, 

Help me keep your light shining all year long, not just to celebrate Jesus’ birthday, but to

reflect and praise the word of life.  

Amen


Comments