RX for Holiday Stress


It has begun!  Snow or no, I approach the holidays with a flurry of hurry!  Every year I vow to make this season a slower paced, more meaningful, (and less materialistic) Christmas. After all, why should the celebration of Christ’s humble birth be observed with an overabundance of decorating, feasting and gifts?


Why do I take on the responsibility for most, if not all, holidays preparations? Is it fear that it won’t be done properly or on time?  One reason may be a yearning to have all my loved ones under the roof for at least a few hours. With three married children who have in-law obligations and various travel times, getting together takes planning and prayer.  (I admit to using visit-your mother guilt if it helps!) 

And if I want to appear sane when family members arrive, my “things to get done before Christmas” list needs to be manageable. The following are strategies to help prevent holiday season overload.

1. PRICELESS PAST  Looking at previous holidays, what are the most meaningful memories? Attending a Christmas worship service is a poignant reminder of the miracle of Jesus’ birth.  Singing traditional hymns with my musically talented family evokes joy .   

2. DETAILED DECORATING? When my kIds were young, it was a fun to create and display their own Christmas-themed art, especially on a tree. Each year since the nest emptied, I reduce my stash of ornaments, lights, stockings, and seasonal wall hangings.  If I can’t quite part with something, it is packed away, saving the decision for the following year.  Less decorations = less to put up = less to take down= simpler, calmer Christmas. 

3. GIFT GLEANING  Many believe several wise men started the gift-giving tradition over 2,000 years ago to honor the Christ-child.  As a Christ-follower, do my gift selections reflect this purpose? It is not a only a blessing, but it's fun for me to chose and give gifts. My grown children most often let me know what they'd need and appreciate.  Because I love surprised, grateful faces, I must admit I often give too much! 

And when my loved ones ask, "Mom, what do you want for Christmas?"  I believe they already know. Time with loved ones to pray, feast and sing, is more valuable than gold, frankincense and myrrh. 



               May the meaning of Immanuel: God with us, bring you JOY!

Comments