What is a Book Launch?

 


Picture an author tying her newly released, self-published book to a camera-equipped drone. Friends and family are gathered outside in a sunny backyard. Two sixpacks of light beer and a box of sweet wine await tasting. A famous DJ (son-in-law) commences the countdown with a dubstep beat. Like the movie with balloons tied to a house, the book rises UP into the sky.

But no, that is NOT a book launch. And yes, you are invited to mine.


Researching and writing (and editing and rewriting)  Self-Care: Selfish or Sacred? provided mental health therapy during Covid restrictions. Since I am one of those people who gain energy and joy being with others; the stay-at-home, don't-touch-anyone, can't-see-smiles-behind-masks restrictions were personally painful. With lack of face-to-face conversations available, writing was my way of talking.

The self-care life balance topic was chosen because I had been so poor at it! And I know many others who doubt if it's a Christian thing to do.("Carry your cross 24/7 and all will work out.")

One blessing of aging is how forgetfulness, aches and pains and general slowing down impresses the need for re-prioritizing. This was also my incentive to study how the Creator wants me to treat my body, mind and soul that he masterfully designed.

With almost two years of writing, working with a publisher, choosing a cover (who knew that would take so long?) and learning some of the business aspects, I was challenged to do my own book promotions.The last task felt like pious bragging, but unless you are  a best-selling author, it's the way modern book sales are made. 


A book launch is a celebration announcing, "fini!" It's a book reveal party with refreshments, copies for autographs and sales, book information and small thank you gifts for attendees. No drones flying around with books, but most likely some uplifting photo taking. 

June 18th is my very first book launch party! Contact me for details, then look for the balloons!  












Comments