The Deception of Greed (A Confession)


Greed steals time from genuine treasure:

Time with loved ones, worship and grace.

It becomes an anxious passion

Pushing us on an endless race.  

 

The deceiver thrills to see the people

Attracted to greed’s web and caught

Ignoring pain that coveting causes

Forgetting lessons contentment had taught.

 

Healthy bodies, minds and souls

Require God-provided care

Yet choosing to seek daily wants

Not needs, leaves thirsty spirits bare.

 

Life’s purpose is not to glean possessions

Fun or attractive they may be

If homes are full but hearts are empty

 

What prompts us to live unselfishly?


 

 

Jesus called the greedy, fools

With overflowing surplus barns,

Not concerned with life eternal

Ignoring what the Savior warns.

 

 


 

 I thought that greed did not concern me

‘I am content” I sang with pride

Greed was not a big temptation

Along with sins I attempted to hide.

 

 


Because of love, and perfect justice,

Jesus exposed my false beliefs

Opened my eyes with Word-vision

Offered forgiveness, granted relief.

 

 

The curse of sin stops not just heaven

But also stifles blessings here

Lord, daily tell me of your goodness

Open my heart to show you’re near.

 



 


Pictures courtesy of Pixabay 

Comments

  1. So true! Very meaningful, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
    2. Word vision is a great phrase! I’m writing it down to remember it. I’m a person who needs lots of alone time. So I can easily get greedy about my me time. It takes work to focus on the needs of others around me and to find the balance. The scale so easily tips my “me time” way which leads to stress because I’m the chief of procrastinators! God, help me find the balance, act on the balance and find joy in serving you in all I do!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Connie for reading, reflecting and commenting. The balance changes for various seasons too, doesn't it? God bless.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment and compliment. God bless you with the balance that changes with different life seasons and circumstances. To Him be all glory. SUE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, This is an amazing piece of poetry. Your writing is truly a gift from God to you and to the readers as we are recipients of the message you share. These words make us take a look at how the sin of greed has entered all our lives and has taken so much from us. But the ending reminds us of the gift of forgiveness and that God is still there for us. Thank you again for these beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kindness and encouragement.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. The enemy tempts us even with good things to distract us from what is truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice poem. I will read it over and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to all for your reading, comments, sharing and encouragement. I really appreciate it. If you want to add your name instead of anonymous, click to the right of "comment on" and there is a pull down to enable choices.

      Delete
  6. Your poem is so true and inspiring. Keep up the good work and share with us all. You have a God given talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent and thought-provoking! Great work, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the best poems I’ve read in my entire life! Amazing, awesome, thought-provoking.

    It belongs in the hall of faith (poetry edition)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Dak, you are so kind. Thanks so much for reading, commenting and sharing it. I am humbled.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments appreciated!