Answered Prayer, One Year Later


Prayer Journal Entry:   February 19, 2019


Dear Lord,  I feel stretched in so many directions!  Please guide my actions according to your will.  Help me make decisions about the (too many) things on my mind.

Busyness. The laundry, most of the meal making and house cleaning chores are my responsibility. And I don’t mind it, if I can get it all done. The cooking is enjoyable, it’s the deciding what, and the shopping for, that takes me so long! Will I ever get around to de-cluttering the kitchen and organizing closets? Less stuff, less stress, should I just give things away? 


Obligations.  I do need to visit my parents more often.  (Thank you Lord they are still on earth. I am grateful for being able to assist with their needs.) There’s also time spent with Tina, the special needs young woman you brought into my life. She is not crazy about our volunteering together at the library, but she never turns down learning about her Savior. Also Lord, help me finish the promotional work for the missionary group and the writer’s conference.  Both of these responsibilities are privileges. Perhaps I overdo the marketing bit, and that’s another reason for my anxiety? Teach me Lord, to balance my efforts in every task.

Overwhelmed.   I promised a visit to a lonely friend on the other side of the state. There are new members in our congregation I should invite over for a meal. With my new health concerns, the two hours at the YMCA every morning is a must.  Volunteering at my church’s preschool once a week fills a need, and renews my appreciation for child care providers. This is all good stuff. Service to others, as You taught. How can I cut back?

Opportunities. Those girl-friend coffee dates and nature walks renew me. Two other friends dealing with cancer could use a visit and maybe a gift. How do I squeeze that in? Should I let my husband go alone to visit the ill and inactive people from our church?

   Looking at my list of to-dos and my want to-dos makes me almost dizzy.  Where is my unrushed, thoughtful time to read your Word, pray, and praise?  Was it Martin Luther who said the busier he was,the longer time he’d spend in prayer?  Well, perhaps today’s entry in this journal parallels that thought. 




   Thank you for listening Lord. Forgive the busyness I put on myself. Direct me to concentrate on the tasks that are from your holy will.  Thank you Jesus for understanding the crazy, pulled-in-many-directions stress of living in a rush-rush world.   Show me how to “Be still and know that I am God”  in my every day.     
 AMEN



Prayer Journal Entry:  March 20, 2020

Dear all-knowing, loving heavenly Father,

   Is it appropriate to give thanks for this virus and quarantine?   Of course I am not rejoicing about the sickness and sadness it has caused around the world.  But because of the unknowns, fears and isolation, more are turning to you. People are running to the stores to hoard food and supplies, so they feel a sense of control. Teach them, Jesus, you are in control and you will work things out for our spiritual best. 



   There is blame being put on governments, politicians, the media and others.  If-onlys are debated as we watch the death tolls rise and hospitals fill.  The faults should fall on my shoulders, Lord, and everyone who has neglected your Word. You designed our bodies and warn against behaviors that damage them. Why do we continue to reject what is best for us? 





  Some have called COVID-19’s attack on the world a war.  It is my deeply-felt prayer Lord, that it uncovers the more dangerous battle that Satan has been increasingly, invisibly, waging.  He has influenced countless numbers of people to call truth a lie, and live by his evil standards. 



   Father forgive us for changing your definitions of life, family, work, worship and rest.  We have followed self-centered, time wasting, even demonic pursuits. Thank you Lord for redirecting our schedules and priorities as more places shut down in fear of this plague.  


    There are so many Christian books stacked up on my shelves that I was hoping to read "some day." You have given me time to enjoy and absorb them. What a blessing it has been to take as long as I’d like to dig into your Word, mining and applying astounding treasures.   

    The encouragement and get well cards I’ve been meaning to send will finally get out in the mail! Contacting far away friends and yes, even cleaning out several rooms, have already been done! The whole house has never looked so good, but no company can come over to see it! :) 

`Forgive me Lord, for worshiping my busyness, my accomplishments, in place of You.  Use this virus, or whatever it takes, to lift my and society’s eyes  up to You.  Hear our urgent prayers, because our days are numbered and “now is the day of salvation.”  ---your adopted, appreciative daughter


“Therefore come out from them and be separate (from the world and its desires). Touch no unclean thing and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you and you will be my sons and daughters.” 
II Corinthians 6: 17-18

Comments